Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Consensual living and beyond

Exploring Consensual Living


By Anna Brown

NC Unschoolers Living is Learning Conference

November 13, 2004

I came to unschooling from consensual living/attachment parenting. I found it the perfect fit. I know

many come to unschooling first and then move into consensual living, what some people call radical

unschooling. I’m not even going to try to offer any official definitions because we all know that never

works.

What I decided to talk about today is what are the components to our parenting that I think help

create a climate for living consensually in our home.

I came up with a lot of things but have narrowed it down to 5 to cover today.

1 - Trusting our children

2 - Golden Rule

3 - No punishments or rewards

4 - Tools and information

5 - Validation

http://www.ncunschoolers.com/ExploringConsensualLiving-ConferenceNotes.pdf

So what is Beyond Consensual living ?   It happens when kids and parents see the value in the concept of the ' family '  - that family members can use the structure of the family to support each other's autonomy , at the same time have family values and goals that family members as a group can pursue, and create a safe and caring environment .

Allan

No comments:

Post a Comment